The Kentucky Board of Veterinary Examiners (KBVE) requires periodic renewal of licenses and certificates issued by the board.
Continuing Education Requirements
The number of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) required for renewal varies by licensure type: (201 KAR 16:050)
- Licensed Veterinarians – 30 CEUs during a renewal cycle (October 1 of an even year to September 30 of the next even year). There are exceptions in the regulation only for newly licensed veterinarians who graduated during the biennium of licensure (See 201 KAR 16:050, Section 1(4)).
- Licensed Veterinary Technicians – 6 CEUs during a renewal cycle (October 1 of each year to September 30 of each year)
- There are no CEU requirements for Certified Animal Euthanasia Specialists and Certified Animal Control Agencies.
As detailed in 201 KAR 16:050, Section 2, approved courses for veterinary and veterinary technicians CEUs include:
- (a) All scientific programs of all organizations of the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), its constituent organizations, and its recognized specialty groups and accredited veterinary medical institutions whose meetings impart educational material directly relating to veterinary medicine;
- (b) Programs approved by the Registry of Approved Continuing Education (RACE) of the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB); and
- (c) All programs approved by the board pursuant to subsection (2) of this section not associated with RACE or the American Veterinary Medical Association and its suborganizations. All Board Approved Programs are listed in the right sidebar. Click the green button for the current year’s listing, and see the archive for courses approved in previous years.
Please note that there is no limit to the number of hours used for the CEUs as long as the requirements of 201 KAR 16:050 are met. Specifically, Section 1(1)(b) states: Of the required hours: 1. At least twenty (20) hours shall be directly related to the practice of veterinary medicine; and 2. More than ten (10) hours shall not be in related areas such as practice management.
License holders should retain proof of all continuing education for a minimum of five (5) years past the date of last renewal in case of an audit by the KBVE.
Are you interested in getting a course approved for use by licensees of the Board? Please visit KBVE’s Forms page, complete the Continuing Education Course Request, and submit to Vet@ky.gov.